Shuo Xiao, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor – Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Rutgers University – Ernest Mario School of PharmacyEOHSI- Toxicology
Work 170 Frelinghuysen Road Room 406 – Lab 404 Piscataway NJ 08854 work
Work Phone: 848-445-3729work
Work Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgINTERNET
Website: Shuo Xiao’s Page
Dr. Xiao is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy at Rutgers University. He received his BMed in Preventive Medicine and MS in Toxicology from Peking University Health Science Center and received his PhD in Reproductive Biology and Toxicology from Dr. Xiaoqin Ye’s lab at the University of Georgia (UGA). Dr. Xiao completed his postdoctoral fellowship in Dr. Teresa Woodruff’s lab in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Northwestern University. Dr. Xiao started his tenure track faculty position in 2017 in the Department of Environmental Health Sciences, University of South Carolina. In the summer of 2020, Dr. Xiao moved his lab to Rutgers University.
Dr. Xiao and his team focus on multiple research interests in female reproductive biology and toxicology, including (1) adverse effects of classic and emerging environmental contaminants on women’s reproductive health, in particular of women’s ovaries and associated ovarian functions, menstrual cycle and fertility; (2) engineering an ovary-on-a-chip and female reproductive-tract-on-a-chip using microfluidic and organ-on-a-chip technologies; (3) development of novel birth control pills for women; and (4) environmental exposure on women’s reproductive diseases such as polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). Dr. Xiao’s research is supported by EOHSI at Rutgers, NIH (K01ES030014, R01ES032144, P01ES028942, UH3ES029073), Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (INV-003385), Health and Environmental Sciences Institute (HESI), and New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP).
- Ovarian endocrine disrupting effects of classic and emerging environmental contaminants
- Mechanism of cancer treatment-induced premature ovarian failure and infertility in young female cancer patients
- Fertility preservation for young female cancer patients
- Bioengineering models of female reproduction
- Development of novel non-hormonal birth control pills for women
- Editorial Board: Reproductive Toxicology, Biology of Reproduction, and Endocrinology,
- Faculty of In Vitro Follicle Culture Lab, Frontiers in Reproduction (FIR), Marine Biology Laboratory (MBL), Woods Hole, MA
- Faculty Advisor of the Trainee Affairs Committee, Society for the Study of Reproduction (SSR)
Recent Publications (*as the corresponding author)
- Wang Y, Russo DD, Pattarawat P, Zhang Q, Zelinski MB, Shalek AK, Goods BA, Xiao S*. Vitrification preserves murine ovarian follicular cell transcriptome in a 3D encapsulated in vitro follicle growth system. Biology of Reproduction. 2021.
- Jiang K, Zhang J, Huang Y, Wang Y, Xiao S, Hadden MK, Woodruff TK, Sun J. A platform utilizing Drosophila ovulation for nonhormonal contraceptive screening. Proceedings of the PNAS. 2021.
- Andersen CL, Byun H, Li Y, Xiao S, Miller DM, Wang Z, Viswanathan S, Hancock JM, Bromfield J, Ye X. Varied effects of doxorubicin (DOX) on the corpus luteum of C57BL/6 mice during early pregnancy. Biology of Reproduction. 2021.
- Mondal A, Saha P, Bose D, Chatterjee S, Seth RK, Xiao S, Porter DE, Brooks BW, Scott GI, Nagarkatti M, Nagarkatti P, Chatterjee S. Environmental Microcystin exposure in underlying NAFLD-induced exacerbation of neuroinflammation, blood-brain barrier dysfunction, and neurodegeneration are NLRP3 and S100B dependent. Toxicology. 2021
- Xu J, Wang Y, Kauffman AE, Zhang Y, Li Y, Zhu J, Maratea K, Fabre K, Zhang Q, Woodruff TK, Xiao S*. A tiered female ovarian toxicity screening identifies toxic effects of checkpoint 2 kinase 1 inhibitors on murine growing follicles. Toxicological Sciences. 2020.
- Zubizarreta ME, and Xiao S*. Bioengineering models of female reproduction. Bio-Design and Manufacturing. 2020.
- Jiang B, Kauffman AE, Li L, McFee W, Cai B, Weinstein J, Lead J, Chatterjee S, Scott GI, Xiao S*. Health impacts of environmental contamination of micro- and nanoplastics: a review. Environmental Health and Preventive Medicine. 2020.
- Qing Y, Yang J, Zhu Y, Li Y, Ma W, Zhang C, Li X, Wu M, Wang H, Kauffman AE,Xiao S, Zheng W, He G. Cancer Risk and Disease Burden of Dietary Cadmium Exposure Changes in Shanghai Residents From 1988 to 2018. Science of the Total Environment.
- Wang Y, Xu J, Stanley J. Xu M, Brooks BW, Scott GI, Chatterjee S. Zhang Q, Zelinski MB, Xiao S*. A closed vitrification system enables a murine ovarian follicle bank for high-throughput ovotoxicity screening, which identifies the endocrine disrupting activity of microcystins. Reproductive Toxicology. 2020.
- Shi Y, Ma W, Han F, Geng Y, Yu X, Wang H, Kimura SY, Wei X, Kauffman A,Xiao S, Zheng W, Jia X. Precise Exposure Assessment Revealed the Cancer Risk and Disease Burden Caused by Trihalomethanes and Haloacetic Acids in Shanghai Indoor Swimming Pool Water. Journal of Hazardous Materials.
- Sarkar S, Alhasson F, Kimono D, Albadrani M, Seth RK, Xiao S, Porter DE, Scott GI, Brooks B, Nagarkatti M, Nagarkatti P, Chatterjee S. Microcystin exposure worsens nonalcoholic fatty liver disease associated ectopic glomerular toxicity via NOX-2-MIR21 axis. Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology.
- Wang Y, Liu M, Johnson SB, Yuan G, Arriba AK, Zubizarreta ME, Chatterjee S, Nagarkatti M, Nagarkatti P, Xiao S*. Doxorubicin obliterates mouse ovarian reserve through both primordial follicle atresia and overactivation. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology. 2019.
- Han F, Ga Y, Hu F, Yu X, Xie H, Li H, Zhao Y, Kimura-hara S, Zhang Y, Zubizarreta M, Xiao S, Zhan M, Zheng W. Simultaneous determination of alternative flame-retardant levels including hexabromocyclododecane, tetrabromobisphenol A, six bromophenols, and nine organophosphate esters in water samples by ultra-high performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography A. 2019.
- Logan S, Gu R, Li W, Xiao S, Anazodo A. Infertility in China: Culture, society and a need for fertility counselling. Asian Pacific Journal of Reproduction. 2019..
- Yang J, Zhu A,Xiao S, Zhang T, Wang L, Wang Q, Han L. Anthraquinones in the Aqueous Extract of Cassiae Semen Cause Liver Injury in Rats Through Lipid Metabolism Disorder. Phytomedicine.
- Andersen CL, Liu M, Wang Z, Ye X*, Xiao S*. Chemotherapeutic agent doxorubicin alters uterine gene expression in response to estrogen in ovariectomized CD-1 adult mice. Biology of Reproduction. 2019.
- Wang Y, Chen H, Ju K, Kopp MF, Johnson SB, Farrell KK, Yuan G, Ataman LM, Zheng W, Woodruff TK, Xiao S*. Female oncofertility attitude and knowledge: a survey of reproductive health professionals in Shanghai, China. Future Oncology.
- Ju K, Kopp M, Wang Y, Yuan G, Zheng W, Ataman LM, Woodruff TK, Chen Q, Xiao S*. A Survey Study of Attitude and Knowledge Regarding Female Fertility Preservation Among Reproductive Health Professionals in Fujian, China. Journal of Adolescent Young Adult Oncology. 2019.
- Rios PD, Kniazeva E, Lee HC, Xiao S, Oakes RS, Saito E, Jeruss JS, Shikanov A, Woodruff TK, Shea LD. Retrievable hydrogels for ovarian follicle transplantation and oocyte collection. Biotechnological Bioengineering.
- Wang Y, Liu M, Zhang, J, Liu Y, Kopp M, Zheng W, Xiao S*. Multidrug resistance protein 1 deficiency promotes doxorubicin-induced ovarian toxicity in female mice. Toxicological Sciences. 2018 (Cover image).
- Xiao S, Coppeta JR, Rogers HB, Isenberg BC, Zhu J, Olalekan SA, McKinnon KE, Dokic D, Rashedi AS, Haisenleder DJ, Malpani SS, Arnold-Murray CA, Chen K, Jiang M, Bai L, Nguyen CT, Zhang J, Laronda MM, Hope TJ, Maniar KP, Pavone ME, Avram MJ, Sefton EC, Getsios S, Burdette JE, Kim JJ, Borenstein JT, Woodruff TK. A microfluidic culture model of the human reproductive tract and 28-day menstrual cycle. Nature Communications. 2017 (2017 Papers of the Year in NIH/NIEHS).
- Laronda MM, Rutz AL, Xiao S, Whelan KA, Duncan FE, Roth EW, Woodruff TK, Shah RN. A bioprosthetic ovary created using 3D printed microporous scaffolds restores ovarian function in sterilized mice. Nature Communications. 2017.
- Xiao S*, Zhang J, Liu M, Iwahata H, Rogers HB, Woodruff TK. Doxorubicin Has Dose-Dependent Toxicity on Mouse Ovarian Follicle Development, Hormone Secretion, and Oocyte Maturation. Toxicological Sciences. 2017.
- Xiao S, Li R, El Zowalaty A, Diao H, Zhao F, Choi Y and Ye X. Acidification of uterine epithelium during embryo implantation in mice. Biology of Reproduction. 2017.
- Xiao S, Zhang J, Romero MM, Smith KN, Shea LD, Woodruff TK. In vitro follicle growth supports human oocyte meiotic maturation. Scientific Reports. 2015.
- Diao H, Li R, EI Zowalaty AE, Xiao S, Dudley EA, YE X. Deletion of Lysophosphatidic acid receptor 3 (Lpar3) disrupts fine local balance of progesterone and estrogen signaling in mouse uterus during implantation. Biology of Reproduction. 2015.
- Xiao S, Duncan FE, Bai L, Nguyen, CT, Shea LD, Woodruff TK. Size-specific follicle selection improves mouse oocyte reproductive outcomes. Reproduction,
The full publication list is available at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=shuo+xiao
Categories: Faculty, Toxicology, Divisions, Member, Tox Member
Updated 10 months ago.