Shuo Xiao, Ph.D.
Rutgers University – Ernest Mario School of PharmacyEOHSI- Toxicology
Work 170 Frelinghuysen Road Room 406 – Lab 404 Piscataway NJ 08854 work
Work Phone: 848-445-3729work
Work Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgINTERNET
Dr. Xiao is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy at Rutgers University. He received his BMed in Preventive Medicine and MS in Toxicology from the Peking University Health Science Center and PhD under the supervision of Dr. Xiaoqin Ye from the University of Georgia. He completed his postdoctoral fellowship in Dr. Teresa Woodruff’s lab in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Northwestern University. Dr. Xiao started his tenure track faculty position in 2017 in the Department of Environmental Health Sciences, University of South Carolina. In the summer of 2020, Dr. Xiao moved to Rutgers.
Dr. Xiao studies how environmental chemicals and clinical drugs impact women’s reproductive health and fertility, in particular of the female gonad, the ovary and its associated functions. Increasing evidence reveals that a broad spectrum of environmental contaminants and medications can cause female ovarian toxicity and heighten the risks of premature ovarian failure, early menopause, and infertility for both reproductive-aged women and prepubertal girls. Dr. Xiao and his team use both 3D ovary organoid culture models and in vivo animal models to study the effect of xenobiotic exposurs on female ovarian functions. Using the emerging microfluidic technology, Dr. Xiao also creates an ovary-on-a-chip and a whole female reproductive tract and 28-day menstrual cycle-on-a-chip. These bioengineering models female reproduction have great potential for female reproductive toxicity testing, drug development and screening, fertility preservation, and investigation of the mechanisms of women’s reproductive diseases (e.g. anovulation, infertility and polycystic ovarian syndrome, PCOS). The ovarian toxic chemicals Dr. Xiao’s lab focuses on include the emerging environmental contaminants (e.g. harmful algal bloom toxins and PFAS) and anti-cancer agents (e.g. chemotherapeutic drugs). Dr. Xiao’s research is supported by the Start-Up fund from Rutgers EOHSI and National Institutes of Health (K01ES030014, P01ES028942).
- Molecular mechanism of chemotherapy-induced premature ovarian failure and infertility
- Fertility preservation for childhood and young adult female cancer patients
- Ovarian impact of harmful algal bloom (HAB) toxins and other emerging environmental contaminants and clinical compounds
- Development of a high-throughput female ovarian toxicity screening platform
- Bioengineering models of female reproduction
- Editorial Board: Reproductive Toxicology, Endocrinology, Journal of Fertility Preservation (2017-present)
- Instructor of In Vitro Follicle Culture Lab, Frontiers in Reproduction (FIR), Marine Biology Laboratory (MBL), Woods Hole, MA (2014-present)
- Faculty Advisor of the Trainee Affairs Committee, Society for the Study of Reproduction (SSR, 2017-present)
Recent Publications (*as the corresponding author)
- Xu J, Wang Y, Kauffman AE, Zhang Y, Li Y, Zhu J, Maratea K, Fabre K, Zhang Q, Woodruff TK, Xiao S*. A tiered female ovarian toxicity screening identifies toxic effects of checkpoint 2 kinase 1 inhibitors on murine growing follicles. Toxicological Sciences. 2020 July 22.
- Zubizarreta ME, and Xiao S*. Bioengineering models of female reproduction. Bio-Design and Manufacturing. 2020 June 16.
- Jiang B, Kauffman AE, Li L, McFee W, Cai B, Weinstein J, Lead J, Chatterjee S, Scott GI, Xiao S*. Health impacts of environmental contamination of micro- and nanoplastics: a review. Environmental Health and Preventive Medicine. 2020 Jul 14; 25(1):29.
- Qing Y, Yang J, Zhu Y, Li Y, Ma W, Zhang C, Li X, Wu M, Wang H, Kauffman AE,Xiao S, Zheng W, He G. Cancer Risk and Disease Burden of Dietary Cadmium Exposure Changes in Shanghai Residents From 1988 to 2018. Science of the Total Environment. 2020 Sep 10;734:139411.
- Wang Y, Xu J, Stanley J. Xu M, Brooks BW, Scott GI, Chatterjee S. Zhang Q, Zelinski MB, Xiao S*. A closed vitrification system enables a murine ovarian follicle bank for high-throughput ovotoxicity screening, which identifies the endocrine disrupting activity of microcystins. Reproductive Toxicology. Jan. 2020 Feb 1;93:118-130.
- Shi Y, Ma W, Han F, Geng Y, Yu X, Wang H, Kimura SY, Wei X, Kauffman A,Xiao S, Zheng W, Jia X. Precise Exposure Assessment Revealed the Cancer Risk and Disease Burden Caused by Trihalomethanes and Haloacetic Acids in Shanghai Indoor Swimming Pool Water. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 2020 Apr 15;388:121810.
- Sarkar S, Alhasson F, Kimono D, Albadrani M, Seth RK, Xiao S, Porter DE, Scott GI, Brooks B, Nagarkatti M, Nagarkatti P, Chatterjee S. Microcystin exposure worsens nonalcoholic fatty liver disease associated ectopic glomerular toxicity via NOX-2-MIR21 axis. Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology. 2019 Oct 20;73:103281. doi: 10.1016/j.etap.2019.103281.
- Wang Y, Liu M, Johnson SB, Yuan G, Arriba AK, Zubizarreta ME, Chatterjee S, Nagarkatti M, Nagarkatti P, Xiao S*. Doxorubicin obliterates mouse ovarian reserve through both primordial follicle atresia and overactivation. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology. 2019, Oct 15;381:114714. doi: 10.1016/j.taap.2019.114714.
- Han F, Ga Y, Hu F, Yu X, Xie H, Li H, Zhao Y, Kimura-hara S, Zhang Y, Zubizarreta M, Xiao S, Zhan M, Zheng W. Simultaneous determination of alternative flame-retardant levels including hexabromocyclododecane, tetrabromobisphenol A, six bromophenols, and nine organophosphate esters in water samples by ultra-high performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography A. 2019. May 27.
- Logan S, Gu R, Li W, Xiao S, Anazodo A. Infertility in China: Culture, society and a need for fertility counselling. Asian Pacific Journal of Reproduction. 2019; 8 (1):1-6.
- Yang J, Zhu A,Xiao S, Zhang T, Wang L, Wang Q, Han L. Anthraquinones in the Aqueous Extract of Cassiae Semen Cause Liver Injury in Rats Through Lipid Metabolism Disorder. Phytomedicine. 2019 Nov;64:153059.
- Andersen CL, Liu M, Wang Z, Ye X, Xiao S*. Chemotherapeutic agent doxorubicin alters uterine gene expression in response to estrogen in ovariectomized CD-1 adult mice. Biology of Reproduction. 2019 Apr 1; 100(4):869-871.
- Wang Y, Chen H, Ju K, Kopp MF, Johnson SB, Farrell KK, Yuan G, Ataman LM, Zheng W, Woodruff TK, Xiao S*. Female oncofertility attitude and knowledge: a survey of reproductive health professionals in Shanghai, China. Future Oncology. 2019 Feb;15(4):371-379.
- Ju K, Kopp M, Wang Y, Yuan G, Zheng W, Ataman LM, Woodruff TK, Chen Q, Xiao S*. A Survey Study of Attitude and Knowledge Regarding Female Fertility Preservation Among Reproductive Health Professionals in Fujian, China. Journal of Adolescent Young Adult Oncology. 2019 Feb;8(1):67-73.
- Rios PD, Kniazeva E, Lee HC, Xiao S, Oakes RS, Saito E, Jeruss JS, Shikanov A, Woodruff TK, Shea LD. Retrievable hydrogels for ovarian follicle transplantation and oocyte collection. Biotechnological Bioengineering. 2018 Aug;115(8):2075-2086.
- Wang Y, Liu M, Zhang, J, Liu Y, Kopp M, Zheng W, Xiao S*. Multidrug resistance protein 1 deficiency promotes doxorubicin-induced ovarian toxicity in female mice. Toxicological Sciences. 2018 May 1;163(1):279-292 (Cover image).
- Xiao S, Coppeta JR, Rogers HB, Isenberg BC, Zhu J, Olalekan SA, McKinnon KE, Dokic D, Rashedi AS, Haisenleder DJ, Malpani SS, Arnold-Murray CA, Chen K, Jiang M, Bai L, Nguyen CT, Zhang J, Laronda MM, Hope TJ, Maniar KP, Pavone ME, Avram MJ, Sefton EC, Getsios S, Burdette JE, Kim JJ, Borenstein JT, Woodruff TK. A microfluidic culture model of the human reproductive tract and 28-day menstrual cycle. Nature Communications. 2017 Mar 28; 8:14584 (2017 Papers of the Year in NIH/NIEHS).
- Laronda MM, Rutz AL, Xiao S, Whelan KA, Duncan FE, Roth EW, Woodruff TK, Shah RN. A bioprosthetic ovary created using 3D printed microporous scaffolds restores ovarian function in sterilized mice. Nature Communications. 2017 May 16; 8:15261.
- Xiao S*, Zhang J, Liu M, Iwahata H, Rogers HB, Woodruff TK. Doxorubicin Has Dose-Dependent Toxicity on Mouse Ovarian Follicle Development, Hormone Secretion, and Oocyte Maturation. Toxicological Sciences. 2017 Jun 1;157(2):320-329.
- Xiao S, Li R, El Zowalaty A, Diao H, Zhao F, Choi Y and Ye X. Acidification of uterine epithelium during embryo implantation in mice. Biology of Reproduction. 2017 Jan 1;96(1):232-243.
- Xiao S, Zhang J, Romero MM, Smith KN, Shea LD, Woodruff TK. In vitro follicle growth supports human oocyte meiotic maturation. Scientific Reports. 2015 Nov 27; 5:17323.
- Diao H, Li R, EI Zowalaty AE, Xiao S, Dudley EA, YE X. Deletion of Lysophosphatidic acid receptor 3 (Lpar3) disrupts fine local balance of progesterone and estrogen signaling in mouse uterus during implantation. Biology of Reproduction. 2015, 93 (5): 123.
- Xiao S, Duncan FE, Bai L, Nguyen, CT, Shea LD, Woodruff TK. Size-specific follicle selection improves mouse oocyte reproductive outcomes. Reproduction, 2015 Sep;150(3):183-92.
The full publication list is available at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=shuo+xiao
Categories: Faculty, Toxicology, Divisions, Member, Tox Member
Updated 5 months ago.