Derek G Shendell D. Env., M.P.H.Associate Professor Rutgers University, School of Public HealthEOHSI – Exposure Science
- D.Env, UCLA Fielding School of Public Health / Institute of the Environment and Sustainability
- MPH, Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Division of Environmental Health Sciences (Environmental Epidemiology and Policy tracks)
- AB, Dartmouth College
Dr. Shendell works to “bridge” science, education and policy in a multidisciplinary fashion to reduce and/or prevent environmental exposures and health effects. He focuses on community/schools-based research with local participation in planning and execution; educational trainings and materials, service and technical assistance; and informed/evidence-based policy advocacy.
Furthermore, he is Director of the NJ Safe Schools Program and co-facilitates the NJ OSHA Alliance, which are within the Center for School and Community Based Research and Education. The program includes injury surveillance (including only school-based system, online and in-print, for working minors and young adults), science-to-policy, regular statewide e-communications, and training for teachers and administrative professionals in secondary education (public and private) concerning safety and health.
Among many research and practice-oriented service activities outside NJ, he is Student Involvement co-Chair (Faculty Chair) of the American Public Health Association (APHA) – Environment (ENV) (and a member of both ENV and Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) sections), and an annual meeting abstract reviewer for APHA ENV and OHS as well as other international societies he is a member of. Inside NJ, he is an approved appointee by the State of NJ Governor’s office (multiple administrations) to the Commission on Environmental Education/Interagency Working Group and the Child Labor Advisory Board to advise the NJ Department of Environmental Protection and NJ Department of Labor and Workforce Development, respectively, using various data to inform decisions.
- Asthma among children and older adults, with novel exposure measurement techniques; etc.
- Incident (injury, illness) surveillance among minors/young workers reported in NJ, including among special health care needs students;
- Indoor air and environmental quality in homes, office buildings and schools, including portable versus traditional, site-built school classrooms and facilities;
- Urban outdoor air quality and environment characterization, including relationships between indoor, outdoor, personal (adult, child) and in-vehicle air concentrations of fine particles and various toxic air contaminants;
- Ventilation and energy efficiency, and linkages to student attendance.
Click here for additional publications by Dr. Shendell.
- Shah, MP, Shendell, DG, Strickland, PO, Bogden, JD, Kemp, FW, Halperin, W. Lead Content of Sindoor, a Hindu Religious Powder and Cosmetic: New Jersey and India, 2014-2015. Am J Public Health. 2017;107 (10):1630-1632. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2017.303931. PubMed PMID:28817328
- Shendell, DG, Milich, LJ, Apostolico, AA, Patti, AA, Kelly, S. Comparing Online and In-Person Delivery Formats of the OSHA 10-Hour General Industry Health and Safety Training for Young Workers. New Solut. 2017;27 (1):92-106. doi: 10.1177/1048291117697109. PubMed PMID:28403737
- Garcia, F Jr, Shendell, DG, Madrigano, J. Relationship among environmental quality variables, housing variables, and residential needs: a secondary analysis of the relationship among indoor, outdoor, and personal air (RIOPA) concentrations database. Int J Biometeorol. 2017;61 (3):513-525. doi: 10.1007/s00484-016-1229-5. PubMed PMID:27572236
- Shendell, DG, Noomnual, S, Chishti, S, Sorensen Allacci, M, Madrigano, J. Exposures Resulting in Safety and Health Concerns for Child Laborers in Less Developed Countries. J Environ Public Health. 2016;2016 :3985498. doi: 10.1155/2016/3985498. PubMed PMID:27382374 PubMed Central PMC4921151
- Shendell, DG, Apostolico, AA, Milich, LJ, Patti, AA, Kelly, SW. Comparing Efficacy of Online and In-Person Versions of a Training on U.S. Federal Wage and Hour, Child Labor Laws, and Hazardous Occupations Orders for Secondary School Professionals. Front Public Health. 2016;4 :75. doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2016.00075. PubMed PMID:27200329 PubMed Central PMC4842762
- Apostolico, AA, Shendell, DG. Injury surveillance and associations with socioeconomic status indicators among youth/young workers in New Jersey secondary schools. Environ Health. 2016;15 :22. doi: 10.1186/s12940-016-0118-z. PubMed PMID:26883909 PubMed Central PMC4754864
- Ana, GR, Luqman, YA, Shendell, DG, Owoaje, ET. Exposure to electric power generator noise among small scale business operators in selected communities in Ibadan, Nigeria. J Environ Health. 2014;77 (4):28-34. . PubMed PMID:25603620